Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Hell is gone and Heaven's here...

...sings Robbie Williams.

About 5pm I got entirely spontaneous and grabbed the body boards I had put away for Christmas and off we went to the beach. 34C/93F and 60 000 Adelaideans are off to see Robbie tonight so it was the perfect time to be somewhere else.

We went to Henley Beach - also a spontaneous decision, and a good one as the beach was nicer than the one we usually go to, and spacious (thanks again Robbie!), and had lots of car parks. We even got a space under the jetty.

I didn't take anything much with me and thought on the way there, as the radio kept reminding us of the fire in Onkaparinga and "residents are advised to activate their bushfire action plans", that maybe it was really dumb to leave my phone in the house in bushfire season. Onkaparinga isn't anywhere near us, but we could see the smoke clearly all day and saw a water bomber (there were three there) as we were driving. I saw smoke from a fire which was closer to home this morning.

It was fun though to have no watch or phone to tell me the time (although I was constantly aware that we always have to be home by 8 to medicate the dog and bed the kids, and my mental clock did well to get us home at 7.52). The boys were so excited when I opened the boot and presented them with new body boards. They nearly forgot to say "Thanks, Mum!" but the excitement and appreciation on their faces said it all. Liam was also suddenly very cool and strutting around being a cool dude.

Being spontaneous and all, we went into the water with clothes, but being 34C and all, the clothes weren't much. The boys were wearing more grins than clothes and loooooooved every minute of catching every little wave as the tide came in. I didn't even bring my camera because I didn't want it to be wet or unattended, so there are no pics of EJ and Liam thinking they are now pro surfers, and no pics of the fires. But it was nice to spend time with the boys and not to have to worry about posing them.

Liam's imagination went 100k per minute and came out through his mouth all the way home. We have a new camp shower outside (saves time and strictly limits water usage, and waters the lawn too, and no I don't shower outside but thanks for asking). We won't use it all the time but tonight the boys rinsed under that, cleaned their teeth, and fell asleep straight away! Yep, even Liam!

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin (etc) said...

:o How spontaneous and exciting. Glad you and the boys r having so much fun!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

EJ was soooooooooooo excited, it was great because he's scared of the sea in case he gets eaten by a whale and a lobster (he actually said that). And Liam was sooooooooooooo cool. He carried his board and strutted up the beach saying hello to everyone, which is the short version of "Hello, have you noticed I have a board and I'm a very cool dude?".

:oD :oD :oD :oD :oD :oD :oD :oD

3:36 PM  
Blogger Sean Burford said...

Sounds like you had a great afternoon at the beach. Just the thing on a hot day. It is cold here (although it snowed in Canberra recently too, see http://www.bugga.net/ )

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home