Saturday, October 13, 2007

Today we went to Fairyland... yes, we really did...

Fairyland is at Lobethal - click here to see their website.

It's a "village" of 19 fairytales (18 cottages and one wishing well). You can see into the cottages but can't go in; and many have a button to animate the scenes or tell the story. Old people like me are fascinated by the antiques hidden in the scenes in many of the cottages - furniture, bowls on washstands, toys, books, kitchenware... some are replicas but many are real antiques. Here are a couple that might interest Mum, not that she's an old person:


I think Mum has one of these dolls without a wig:


This one's just a sewing machine to interest the sewing person:



Some cottages had windows on more than one side. I could take better photos at those ones, with less reflection off the glass. Here are the boys looking into the Red Riding Hood cottage:





Some of the others were...

...The Elves and the Shoemaker...
...Santa's Workshop...
...Rumpelstiltskin...


... and Old Mother Hubbard...


Some of the village pixies:

There were two cages next to each other, one with a galah and one with a sulphur crested cockatoo, who both had the most personality I've ever seen on birds (no sexist comments please!)! Everyone was talking to the cocky because he was loudest, he'd say "Allo"and "How ya goin'?" and "Dance cocky, dance!" until the galah got tired of being neglected and called out "Watch this!" and put a cup on his head! This made the cocky hang upside down on his perch and screeeeeeeeeeam with laughter! When everyone left the cocky wailed "Bye! Seeya! Bye! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!". I didn't get all the good bits, but here he is (the shorter of the two videos I took of him):




Here are some pics of Liam throwing a ball to hit a target to knock Humpty Dumpty off the wall (good shot too!). These are very fast multiple pics of one throw:



Before we left I got petrol and reset my odometer, and it was only about 64km to get to Fairyland and back (we had swimming lessons, baths and laundry this morning and still made this trip). It's good to discover - or rediscover - what's in your own backyard. :o)



Quotable quotes from this week:

  • I told the boys all three of us might enrol in Tae Kwon Do. Liam's reply: "Ummmm - you too? That would just be funny!"
  • Liam: "When mum was at school, which we all know was over ten years ago...". Geez, I'm so old.
  • I commented on someone spruiking. EJ: "There's no spooking. I can only hear blurry talking."

6 Comments:

Blogger DadB said...

I believe I have photos of you sitting on a toadstool there, some years ago.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I remember Erin laying on her tummy on a toadstool. I think we were supposed to turn the photo sideways so it would look like she was swinging on a door knob! Fairyland has changed and I think the toadstools have moved and bred.

5:02 PM  
Blogger DadB said...

Yes. That really worked well, too...

9:28 PM  
Blogger Louise Burford said...

Hello!!! Yep, we've been to Fairyland too! Do they still have the Llamas?

Great pics of the boys, but where are you?

5:32 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I didn't see any llamas. I'm the photographer so there are never any pics of me.

Thanks for the card! I got it on.... Tuesday I think.

5:29 AM  
Blogger DadB said...

Is this llamas in tutus with little gossamer wings??

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home