Friday, November 16, 2007

The croc in my yard

Yesterday was Steve Irwin Day. I was distinctly not commemorating it just because I'm so tired of hearing about him, but the local reptiles had other ideas.

I went out to see what Buster was barking at, to find this massive croc in my yard. I shut Buster in the laundry and went out to try to catch it so I could relocate it, possibly to the local park which is large and includes vegetation and a creek.

Here is the massive croc hiding in a flowery bush:


Oh, alright then, it's a young blue tongue lizard, probably a bit less than a foot long. But it's still a reptile on Steve Irwin Day.

Because it was a hot day, Neddy - that's what I called the lizard when it started running away - "I'm panicking, Neddy!" ... from The Simpsons.... anyhoo... it was a warm day so Neddy could move fast. He slithered around trying to look like a snake, moving his legs as little as possible. I said "I can see ya legs ya know", so he got a bit embarrassed and went under the fence.

I know there aren't any croc-hunting-dogs on the other side of that fence, so I sprayed Neddy with a spray bottle. He was most offended, hissing at me, then running away, hissing over his shoulder some more as he went. That's what I wanted. I wanted Neddy to think my yard is not friendly, because it isn't - Buster has been known to play roughly with Neddy's type and then wonder why they won't play anymore.

To kind of quote a famous niece: "and that's the end of the yittle cwocodile yizard stowy".

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin (etc) said...

lolz. Snake's got yegs.

4:37 AM  
Blogger DadB said...

Yook! Yook! Yots of yiddle yizard yegs!
I think the Aussie TV naturalist way of handling it is to pick him up by the tail, say "Look at this little fella!" then bash him against a rock. I could also do a David Rabbitborough, but it doesn't translate to text very well.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home