Thursday, September 13, 2007

Excuse me if I use the words "original(ly)" and "love" a lot!

"Originally" this was a four room cottage (and here's me, trying to fit stuff from a four bedroom house in it!) - lounge room, kitchen, and two bedrooms. It is 140 years old and had no plumbing to start with and, in fact, not until 12 years ago when the current owner renovated.

The room I'm showing you today was the original kitchen. Now it is a second lounge room, which has helped a lot in terms of fitting things in, as there is a newer kitchen on the back of the house.

This fireplace backs onto the one in the previous post and they share a chimney, but this one now has a gas log heater in it. Again, I'm pleasantly surprised that a paint colour (yellowish) I would not have chosen goes so well with my decor - for example, with the photos with the yellow mat in the centre of the mantle, and the warm coloured candles. The TV cabinet is a perfect fit for the space to the left of the fireplace, and the toy drawers fit perfectly on the right (there is a door next to the drawers).


The couches only just fit in this room, and there are toy boxes and a "storage" box stacked in the little space there. The grey things on the couch are Feet Seats which need refilling and moving to a more useful spot. I'm sure 140 years ago, this house didn't even consider holding as many toys as it does now! Behind me in this photo, there are a bookshelf and a cupboard (which I've tried to reduce my "study" into), so this room is an attempt at cramming in as much as possible as neatly as possible. It will never be perfect but it's coming along better than expected! I do love this house and it's history, but it's just not big enough for us.


I love the original windows and the frosted one is a constant reminder that this was once the back room. There used to be people sitting in here to eat, the cooking was done in here with no gas, electricity or plumbing, and this window would have had clear glass and a view of the land which was larger than it is now. The current kitchen is now the on the other side of that window. The walls are 45cm thick solid stone, so the windowsills are great little trinket shelves.


This lounge room doesn't have it's original floorboards - two rooms still do and two don't - the two that don't have floorboards now have carpet. We have four different floor coverings in this house: floorboards, carpet, slate in the kitchen/dining, and tiles in the bathroom and laundry. The ceiling in the back two rooms - or what used to be the back rooms - are sloping, and look like whitewashed floorboards. The front two rooms have the same ceiling but they are supposedly flat; I say supposedly, because nothing in this house is at the right angle! The old floorboards are "wavy" but well cared for and I love the character that adds. The door frames are not perfectly square either but in this house I like that too. I wouldn't be happy with it in a modern house though!

2 Comments:

Blogger DadB said...

Wow, it's looking neat! And your coffee table has the rubber sucky bits now?
I take it you are not opening the fireplace up for a wood stove that has to be fed all day?

10:20 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Yep, I can keep one room tidy at a time for photos! No, I'm not allowed to use the fireplace, and I don't want to anyway.

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home